Yellow Taxis at Mactan International Airport

One of my followers in Twitter asked me about what Taxi to choose when arriving at the Mactan International Airport. He is a Japanese and his name is Shinji Okada. He told me that he would be arriving the Cebu Island in a week. He said he was afraid of taking a taxi with chicanery fare; chicanery, yes that was his choice of word. 

Meaning, he’s afraid that he would be deceived by the taxi drivers with the meters. So I replied immediately and told him that all you have to look for when arriving at the Mactan airport is the yellow cab, not Yellow Cab Pizza, but a taxi that has color yellow on the entire body, taxi that has yellow paint. 

Image from https://d0ctrine.com/2016/01/06/mactan-cebu-airport-taxi-terminal/

Actually these yellow taxis are in numbers waiting for tourists outside the arrival area in Mactan airport. Wanna know how I know this? Well, I didn’t research on this. It was purely by chance. Last December 2010 when I was waiting for a taxi in Lapu-Lapu to take me to the Mactan airport, a yellow one pulled over. 

I assumed the taxi was the same as the ordinary white taxis. Inside the taxi my eyes went wide seeing the flag down meter under the dashboard showed 90 Pesos. I said, “Oh what’s wrong with the meter?” He said that it’s the approved meter by the Department of Tourism. I said, “What? No no, you have to pull over. I’ll find another taxi.” He told me then that it’s alright because he was going to less the 90 pesos from 60 so it would become 30 on the flag down meter. He was so friendly and even said further that I can even pay him any amount I wish. 

I realized it was no ordinary taxi when the driver told me that it had gone to a hotel before he pulled over for me. He had just taken a tourist from the airport to a hotel in Lapu-Lapu. The taxi was on the way back to the Mactan airport since it was only intended for that exclusive ride. The driver said that yellow cab drivers had undergone seminars and trainings by the Department of Tourism to provide transportation for the tourists. 

So anywhere a tourist wishes to go, he can hire the yellow taxi. If he doesn’t want to hire it, then it would only take him to his hotel or to a certain destination. The driver said that the taxi has complete equipment such as fire extinguisher, a map, brochures from real estate companies and hotels, and some other stuff that concerns travel. So that was it. 

Although the succeeding charge for every meter is 5 Pesos, with all the complete equipment and tools needed in case of emergencies and travel needs, tourists can be sure about their absolute safety and convenience. And what’s much better is that the drivers of these yellow cabs can also be a tour guide for the tourists. But I was no tourist. Good thing he only charged me around 60 pesos, as I remember. To my Twitter friend Shinji Okada, with yellow cabs, you don’t have to worry about chicanery fares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born to Love Food

Greet and Taste Davao Delicacies: the Durian Style

DAVAO CHINATOWN